From time to time, you’ll have a product on your site that you’re happy to sell...so long as the customer purchases a minimum of X amount. We get it. Whether you’re driving that minimum or your vendor is driving it, you can enforce it with Liftoff.
The easiest way to accomplish this is with your product pricing. By default, the lowest (quantity) number you provide in pricing designates the lowest quantity that’s available to order. If you set that to 5, your customer can’t order 1 or 3 or even 4. They’ll receive a message telling them the quantity isn’t valid.
This works great. In fact, most of our clients already understand how this works. The problem here is when you have variants of a product. Maybe your customer has to order a minimum of 10 shirts, but they can be any color or size. If you said the minimum quantity was 10 in the pricing, this would force your customer to purchase 10 size smalls, 10 size mediums, 10 size large, etc.
Now this might work for you, but just in case it doesn’t, we have one more method available to us.
Establish a rule
With an easy order-in-cart rule, we can establish and enforce a minimum quantity for a particular product, including all variants of that product with the following steps:
- Navigate to ECommerce → Rules
- Click the +Add Rule button
- For the Event, select the radio button for “Order in cart” (this is where the event will occur)
- For the Description, provide a name that makes it easy for you to identify what this rule was for, such as “K500 Min. Qty Rule”
- For the If...section, select the checkbox for “Product quantity is under”
- In the Product section, begin typing the name of your product and select it from the list
- In the Minimum Quantity section, add in the collective minimum quantity that is required for this product
- For the Then section, select the radio button for “Prevent checkout and display message”
- Provide a message to your customer that tells them why they can’t checkout. Something like “The K500 shirt has a minimum order quantity of 10. Please add more to your cart to continue checkout.”
- Click the Save & Create button
You’re now done! If your customer has less than 10 of that particular product in their cart, they’ll receive a message and checkout will be prevented. The stars in the universe will align and you’ll receive $50 million in cash.
Just kidding. Only the message & checkout prevention will occur. But we can dream, right?
As always, the account management team is always available to help answer your questions. Our documentation is available 24/7 at https://docs.liftoff.shop and you can submit a support ticket at any time by going to https://support.liftoff.shop.